Today's post has been inspired by my friend Damien on Twitter.
What do I want my life to be like one year from now?
If he had asked this of me a few years back, the answer would have been totally different than the answer today. Back then my answer would have been fairly simple and straightforward. I would have wanted to be further along in my career as a network administrator, mostly higher up in a management position.
That scenario no longer applies to me today. After my meltdown a couple of years back many things in my life have changed. Other than being chronically unemployed, I'm actually happier now than I was then. Back then I had all the trappings of a "successful" life going for me. I had the house, the cars, the debt that was supposed to help me get further in life. Since the meltdown I no longer have the mortgage or car payments or credit card debt. I have an apartment, an old car that's paid for, and no other bills other than the basic ones such as utilities, insurance, and food.
I've made major changes in my life in the past couple of years. I've learned much more about myself than I ever though possible. I'm about to embark on a new course in life. I'm looking forward to the future while still being scared shitless about it at the same time. And that's fine. I can deal with that. I think that if the future didn't scare me then it wouldn't be worth pursuing.
So to answer the question of what I want my life to be like one year from now, I would have to say this:
I hope to have completed a years worth of study at the local community college on my way to an AA in psychology.
I hope to be still attending my support groups and volunteering in more mental health areas.
I hope to be able to make new friends that are supportive of me and allow me to be supportive of them.
I hope to be a bit more financially independent to some degree.
I hope to be further along in my recovery and understanding of BPD and depression.
I hope to be happier than I am today.
I hope to be more productive than I am today.
I hope to be a better and more understanding person than I am today.
That's the answer to today's question. Feel free to suggest more.
..
No comments:
Post a Comment